OTTAWA, ON – Today Carleton Member of Parliament Pierre Poilievre released the following statement regarding the National Capital Commission’s (NCC) Ottawa Hospital Site Review:
“It is clear that this review is a solution in search of a problem. The problem of finding a new location for the near-century-old Ottawa Civic Campus had been resolved two years ago, when the Hospital’s leadership settled on a small parcel of land across the street from the existing campus. However, local Liberal minister Catherine McKenna slammed the brakes on the Hospital’s move and left the NCC with the impossible task of doing the selection process all over again.
“Today we are still spinning in circles. Five of the NCC’s proposed sites are still on farm property, even though the entire point of this review was supposedly to avoid using farm land. Three of the 12 sites are within five kilometres of the Queensway-Carleton Hospital, where it would not make sense to have two hospitals located so close together.
“As well, five of the 12 NCC-listed sites are the same as what the Ottawa Hospital reviewed years ago and another four of them are very similar. There are really only three ‘new’ site proposals that have not been considered before, and one is for the Hospital to stay put in its existing 92 year-old facility.
“When the House of Commons returns next week, you can be sure that I will be asking the minister to justify this process,” Poilievre concluded.
NCC Sites that are the same as what the Ottawa Hospital reviewed:
- Farm – Across the street from the current Civic Campus (the NCC calls them “Carling Ave West” and “Carling Ave Central”)
- Farm – Across from the Nepean Sportsplex
- Tunney’s Pasture
- Booth Street Complex
NCC Sites that are very similar to what the Ottawa Hospital reviewed:
- Farm – Baseline and Merivale (the Hospital reviewed Baseline and Fisher)
- Farm – “Carling Ave East” (the Hospital reviewed the Sir John Carling Building)
- Hunt Club South Corridor (NCC calls them “West Hunt Club North” and “West Hunt Club South”)
New NCC Site Proposals:
- The current Civic Campus location
- Merivale-Woodroffe Corridor
- Lincoln Fields – Pinecrest Creek
Hospital-Reviewed Sites rejected by NCC:
- Hurdman Station
- Bayview Yards
- Woodroffe & Baseline (next to Algonquin College)
- Nortel Site (Carling and Moodie)
- Confederation Heights (Riverside and Heron)