Consular Services assists thousands of Canadians abroad each year in many complex and varied situations. We cannot stress enough the importance of taking a preventive approach to minimize the risks and increase the chances of having a safe and enjoyable trip abroad. A Canadian passport does not grant immunity.

Our Travel Reports provide the Government of Canada’s official travel advice for foreign countries and regions. They may include official Travel Warnings, in addition to essential information on safety and security, local laws and customs, entry requirements, health conditions and other important travel issues.

Sign up for the Registration of Canadians Abroad service before leaving Canada, so we can contact and assist you in case of an emergency abroad, such as a hurricane or civil unrest, or inform you about an emergency at home.

If you need urgent help while travelling abroad, call or email us. We provide emergency assistance 24/7.

You must have a valid Canadian passport for all trips outside Canada. Visit the Passport Canada website if you need to renew or apply for a passport.